Once upon a time, an expectant mom desired to use cloth diapers more than anything else in the world. She chickened out with her first child, so before she was even 20 weeks into her 2nd pregnancy, she bought a pretty amazing stash of bumGenius diapers = 18 of the Elementals and 12 of the 3.0s (now 4.0s), along with a handful of accessories. That mom was me!
I quickly became a "Pocket Hater" because my daughter was a side sleeper and the microfiber just couldn't absorb her urine fast enough and she leaked constantly. I sold all but the 4 white ones on eBay and never looked back. I figured white diapers were a good thing to keep on hand for special occasions and white dresses.
In fact, here is the photo I posted in eBay to get rid of them:
Well, here we are 2 1/2 years later and guess what we use EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT on our 2 1/2 year old. Yep. Our old trusty 3.0s! Our daughter is fully potty trained during the days, but just cannot make it through the night. Now, to be honest, we stuff the pocket with a prefold because it holds more and absorbs faster, but we need the easy on-off of the pocket and the stay dry material.
Part of being an "expert" in cloth diapering is experience. Pocket diapers have been all the rage for quite some time and I've always kinda rolled my eyes at these moms. If you've shopped in our brick & mortar store and I've shown you the pocket diapers, you have probably picked up on the fact that they were not my favorites. I catch myself saying things like, "You have to stuff this insert in this pocket" and then I do it haphazardly. Ah, but new experiences with old products can definitely change your thinking.
We've stocked the Thirsties Duo Diapers since we opened our brick & mortar back in September. Some of my favorite things about this diaper are:
1. The duo size system: Size 1 fits 6-18lbs and Size 2 fits 18-40lbs. My girls were just over 6lbs each and my 2 1/2 yr old may get close to 40lbs before she's night trained.
2. The Double Leg Gussets: While maybe not as important in the older child, newborn explosions are part of parenting and those double gussets can save a life.....or outfit.
3. Multiple insert options: microfiber, cotton-hemp, cotton-polyester, whatever works for you and your child!
4. Made in the USA: Colorado to be exact!
Some of the bumGenius 4.0 features include:
1. One Size Diaper: This diaper will fit the average baby from birth (8lbs) to potty training (35lbs)
3. Newborn Insert: We all know a bulky diaper on your tiny newborn is just annoying. The newborn insert is trim and thin, but has enough absorbency for your newborn. It also serves as a great doubler later on, when needed.
4. Brand Name: In case you haven't noticed, "bumGenius" is probably the most recognizable diaper brand on the market today.
5. Made in the USA: Seeing a common theme with the products we carry?
Like so many of us in the industry say, what works for me may not work for you. And what works for me today, may not work tomorrow. Cloth diapering is not hard, it just requires adjustment from time to time. And the nice thing is, cloth diapers hold their value fairly well so if something isn't working, you can resell them online and try something else. Diversify your stash! But try a pocket or two.
Have a great weekend and maybe by next week, we'll have a new Little to do all the diaper testing!